WE TAKE OUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR KEEPING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE SAFE VERY SERIOUSLY.
Thousands of children and young people take part in programs each year run by the YMCA of Brisbane and Y-Care (South East QLD). The breadth of our collective programs and services for children and young people includes:
- Childcare facilities including long day care, outside school hours care, vacation care, limited hours care, crèche, family day care and in-home care
- Health and Fitness including teen gym programs
- Sport and Recreation including gymnastics, swimming, aquatic education, squash, indoor sports and camping
- Youth services including mentoring, vocational school, vocational training, youth space and Queensland Youth Parliament
- Benevolent programs including school breakfast program, specialist OSHC for young people with a disability and Siblings Reconnect
On this page you will find links to our policies, staff/volunteer code of conduct and parent/carer information brochure.
We encourage parents/guardians to report any concerns relating to the safety or wellbeing of their own or other child(ren) or young person in a YMCA facility. This can be done:
- by speaking to our staff in person
- by contacting the YMCA’s Child Protection Officer on 3253 1706
- by writing to YMCA Child Protection Officer - PO Box 669, Spring Hill Qld 4004
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE FRAMEWORK
The YMCA has a culture of awareness and vigilance supported by:
- Staff and volunteer screening, training and code of conduct
- Clear documented policies and procedures
- Incident reporting, management and analysis
- A focus on staff and volunteers documenting any concerns they may have
- A culture of ‘if you see something … say something’
- A consideration of facility design
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE ACCREDITATION
The YMCA is very proud to have achieved accreditation as a child safe organisation through the Australian Childhood Foundation, following an independent and comprehensive review of our organisational policies and procedures. The program is a unique voluntary accreditation scheme for organisations who have a duty of care to children and young people whilst delivering a service or activity to them and/or their families. The program systematically builds the capacity of organisations to keep children and young people safe from abuse.